Sunday, December 20, 2009

A busy pre Christmas weekend!

We started our Saturday by volunteering to host a childrens Christmas party for a local non profit family organization. Several of us and our children helped the kids with crafts, a hot dog lunch, some cookie decorating and a visit with the big man Santa of course!!! It was hectic but fun!
My 11 year old son even enjoyed his time with Santa! I think he Believes! :)

I will never be too old to visit with Santa!
Later in the day we had a family party to attend. It was a great evening!!! We didn't get home until almost 2 am. I didn't wake the kids up for church this morning. But I went with my parents and todays music was Christmas carols of course! My favorite!!
The message was about finding PEACE, and these days who doesn't need to find PEACE. The message was very touching.
Then off to get my baking supplies for the week.
I tried to make candied walnuts, but I was out of parchment paper and thought I could use wax paper. I was wrong! The walnuts stuck to the paper! So that didn't quite work out.

Then it was on to making "Cracker Candy". I got this recipe from a friend at work. The recipe says that it is from Aunt Libby's Kitchen. I don't know Aunt Libby, but I am thankful for her recipe.

Ingredients:
35 to 40 Saltine Crackers
1 12 oz package of chocolate chips
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Instructions: Line a greased 9 X 13 cookie sheet with crackers, one layer thick only. Melt butter in sauce pan. Add brown sugar and stir until sugar is melted, blended and bubbly. Pour over crackers (crackers may float-that is ok) Place in preheated 350 degre oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Add chocolate chips to to top, spread until melted evenly over crackers. Add nuts if desired. Bake again for 15 minutes. Remove and cool. Cut into squares.
It took quite a while for the chocolate to set. Here is the packaged finished product.



1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you were able to volunteer as a family this holiday season. That makes it all so much more special. Sounds like a truly nice family gathering too. Your wrapped up goodies look fantastic. I am sure anyone who is a recipient of Cracker Candy will be quite happy. Wishing you a day of blessings :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete